Oct 4, 2009

I heart October

Happy October!! I love love love this time of year. It marks a new chapter in my life. Six years ago, under very unsavory circumstances, I needed a "do-over" on life. I quit my job of 7 years, packed up my things & my orange tabby, Piper, (R.I.P. Pipes) and moved to Logan to reclaim my chance at love and happiness. I seriously thought about graduate school, got a job I loved, and essentially started over. Because of Pipes, I had to rent a totally ghetto apartment on the "island." It was the only place in all of Logan I swear, that would allow the little fur ball to stay. Desperate times call for desperate measures. There was an upside however, the rent was so dirt cheap that I almost felt rich, or richer than I felt my whole married life. As devastating as this place appeared, much like my life at the time, it turned out to be just what I needed. Megan and Abby were my roommates, both very interesting and friendly. They took in their little dejected divorcee like champs. Every Thursday night we got together with the same very charming and funny guys for dinner and dessert. It seriously reminded me of something off of "Friends." I quickly became absorbed with the goings on of this group.

Meanwhile my younger brother and sister were living across town with their own roommates, whom I found to be incredibly fun and refreshing. I took the plunge, undetected, into college life all over again. It did surprise me a little that I blended in so successfully. I had quite a few years on them, not to mention the ghastly train wreck I had just come from. A couple of Dylan's roommates were older, having gone on missions and everything. Markham, {enter prince charming}, caught my eye. He was very fun and always with Dylan. We used to, in fact, tease them about being married. When they were apart, we would say, "Where's your wife?"

Now, I did think Markham was awesome, but young and off limits at the same time. He was 4 years younger and that seemed to be a lot, not to mention the vast difference in the last few years of our lives. However, much to my surprise, he was way more mature than any guy I knew and I dare say, even myself....gasp. I was dating a little here and there, but was not impressed. I even dated the guy I had sent on a mission 7 years previous, which was weird, and not at all the fairy tale ending I had in mind.

I was becoming more and more enchanted with this roommate of Dylan's. However, Markham had a girlfriend. I was not at all surprised. (Good guys are like parking spots. All the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.) I was not daunted though. Divorce does something interesting to you, it gives you an enormous amount of nerve. I really had nothing to lose. So I began to lightly pursue Markham, ever so slightly. I was chastised by my sister and a few of her sweetly naive friends because he had a girlfriend and all that crap. My reply, "he's not married yet, not even engaged! He is free game." And so........ the rest is history.

This year marks our 5 year anniversary and Kaity's 3rd birthday, so like I said, HAPPY OCTOBER!!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I just love that story!! I remember the day you moved into that apt. I thought that you were so pretty and that your cat was so cute too!! I remember you offered me a piece of Red Velvet Cake. You were so nice!!

You are so right about the whole "He was not married yet" thing. If that let people stop them, where would Dylan and I be? I was dating someone too.

I am so happy that you got your fresh beginning. I love October too. That same year has a ton of good memories for me also, along with the fresh start feeling. And your story just brings all that back.

Awesome Post April!! Love you!!!
Happy October!

val said...

happy october to you! i laughed about the "good guys are like parking spots" comment...ha!
i'm so glad you found your prince charming. you guys are great together. what a great story.

Brooke said...

That was a tough road but it is those experiences that help us appreciate the good more than ever. Love you both so much!

Matt and Tracy said...

oh april, reading that story made me think of how much i love you and miss hanging out with you!!! while i was reading it, it was like i could hear your voice telling me the story in person! i love the fall too, and i am glad that it brings such happy memories to you! please enjoy this beautiful season for me, since i will be living in the summer season for the next 3 years ;)

Lindsey said...

Seester!!! It was so good to read that cute little story again!! It truly sounds like a fairy tale right? And for the recored Mard's girlie friend was a friend and it was kind of awkward...... hehe....but you were right and I am glad you didn't listen to me and my roomies!! Silly little things we were....

We both had to go through some tumultuous times to get to the great men we are married to, that's for sure.......but I know first hand yours were much more tumultuous than mine. So October is a good month......to October!!

Oh and have you ever noticed that Ashley separates her posts into neat little paragraphs? Pretty funny....always so proper that English major!!! Love it Ash!! I tried it this time too!

Darrington Family said...

April...Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe someday I'll have to hear the whole story...but what does it matter...it's history and you're happy now and that's all that matters.
I love reading your blog! You are such an entertaining writer. Wish I had that talent!
I love love love October too. One of my favorite times of the year! Happy October April! You are awesome and deserve a happy ending.
It was just kind of funny reading this....I remember so vividly in school how you hated country music because it was all "sappy love songs"...to hear you talk about prince chariming and happy endings....I love it. You deserve a happy happy ending! Love you!