Nov 13, 2007

Autonomy!

Kaitlyn has become incredibly independent! She has decided that she is DONE with me feeding her. She can do it herself.....or so she thinks. After I feed her a couple of bites, she shakes her head, as if to say "no way" and reaches for the spoon. I understand that this is an exciting milestone but also a huge mess. So I throw a towel down underneath her and let her have at it. I am a little concerned however because she doesn't hardly get any of it into her mouth, just all over her face, her chair, her clothes, the floor, etc. And again, if I try to lend a hand to the little novice eater she will have nothing to do with it. What is a mother to do? So I try to give her easy things to eat, but her appetite is so lame - she hardly eats anything! The only thing she eats a lot of is toast with butter and bananas and even then, she throws it all on the floor & says, "uh oh!"

I realize it looks like she is eating glue.....yuck! But I was actually trying to get her to eat some brown rice and vegetables. She only has 2 teeth.....still!!! What the heck!!



5 comments:

Lindsey said...

she is getting so big! soon she will be dating, driving, dancing..ect....what are we going to do, with a little independant bean in the world!! hooray, for bean, and good luck to you.

Matt and Tracy said...

wow, i am definitely not looking forward to the time rian decides she wants to feed herself. what a mess...i will just die. well, not really but maybe have a few anxiety attacks before i am okay with the mess. but sometimes you have to suck it up, so they will eat, right???

Missy W. said...

I heard someone say to put them in one of dad's old t-shirts during this food "stage" good luck!

Brooke said...

maybe she needs her own bowl of food to feed herslef with, and then, when she opens up to get her own spoon in, you could sneak in your spoonful of food! It never worked on Carson, but he never would open his mouth for the food, he just dumped it out and that was it. Ahhhhh, memories!

april said...

good tips! I will try anything :)