Oct 3, 2013

Our Nebo Loop Experience


Last weekend Markham planned a day trip for us down to Nebo Loop. We had never been, and it broke my heart a little. It was so beautiful. We had such a great time we decided we must make it a Carroll family tradition and go back every fall.

It was a perfect fall day. After Jackson's soccer game in the morning, we headed down to Payson, which I thought was so charming and quaint. We stopped and had a picnic in the park next to the Peteetneet Museum. It's an old beautiful building and had me curious about what's inside. From the outside it looked worthy of discovery. Next time we'll have to plan some time to check it out.

After we finished lunch we made our way through Nebo Loop Scenic Byway. Absolutely gorgeous. It was fall leaf heaven. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

We asked the kids to tell us what colors they could see. We heard "Orange!" Red!" Green!" Yellow!!" with some intermingled "ooohs" and "aaahs" It made me smile. We made our way to Payson Lake to give the kiddos a chance to fish. To say they were excited would be a gross understatement. They were exhilarated.
Sentimental Mom Disclaimer: I took way too many picutures here, but I just couldn't help myself. I have sweet memories fishing with my Grandpa and wish I had a few pictures. So I made sure this day was well documented.

A little instruction from dad....
"let's get a chair...this could be a little while"


She caught one!!! So exciting!!
Addie and I just sat and took in the beautiful view
Jacks turn

"I think we got something!"

The kids had great success that day -they both caught a fish. We threw Jackson's back in. Kaitlyn caught a bigger fish and Markham wanted to keep it and cook it over the coals. I didn't realize my husband was such a survivor man. I thought the kiddos would be traumatized. They were a little sad, but I was the only one that had a hard time with it. I always feel bad for the fish. I took the kids back to the van while survivor man cleaned it.

We then made our way to a campsite to have a fire and eat. We were starving.

Markham got busy making the fire while Kaity and Jacks sipped hot chocolate and "explored" the campsite. We cooked up our tin foil dinners and Kaity's catch. We all had some. It was really yummy. Kaitlyn loved it. For dessert we had woof 'ems in lieu of smores. The kiddos didn't even miss those old school smores. Addie was such a good sport and only tired of it near the end. 
  
 
When we were sufficiently worn out and smelly, we packed it up and came home. After the sun went down it got pretty chilly. It's always a little shocking to me just how black the night gets in the mountains. I was grateful we weren't planning on sleeping out there, it kinda creeps me out.  Markham loves camping, me.... not so much. I think the "day camp" compromise is perfect.

Cheers to the 1st Annual Nebo Loop Trip!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS! wow. why have i never been there?