Aug 15, 2012

"There's no sharks in there"

Miss Kaity has been taking swim lessons this week. I didn't sign Jacks up because he is barely 3 and I thought I would have him start next year.  Well he has been super jealous of Kaity's time in lessons. He hangs his head and says, "I don't get to go swimming."  We wait and watch Kaity and he begs to go too.  So I ask if there is any room for Jacks in a beginner class. Voila, there is!

I take him to his class and he gets in the water for about 30 seconds, he is smiling and laughing and doing great. All of the sudden he gets out and will not get back in. I am totally puzzled.  I ask him a series of questions.

Did your teacher get mad at you?
"No"

"Are you cold?"
"No"

"Are you scared?"
"No! There's no sharks in there!"

I had to ask again to make sure I heard him right...Yep. Apparently there is nothing but sharks to be afraid of, so that's not it.  Kaity and I spend the next 30 minutes poolside, getting splashed so much we nearly drowned, trying to convince him to get back in.

Unsuccessful.

 The lifeguard blows the whistle to indicate the end of lessons. Jackson cries the whole way home because he didn't get to swim.

What is a mom to do?? Cry too? Pretty much.

 I guess we will try again tomorrow.

No comments: